Friday, November 18, 2005
All your base are belong to us
I learned about GoogleBase earlier this week. Yes, this is one more step towards Domination of Everything by Google, but it's a fascinating idea. Can you really create a giant index for everything in the world? I am particularly intrigued by the fact that anyone can choose any attributes or labels for the items they enter. Woohoo! No controlled vocabulary! You can call it soda, or pop or Coke, or whatever you want! (God only knows if the soda drinkers will find the pop, or if the beanie wearers will find the toques.) All the people bellyaching about the inaccurate, unrepresentative and offensive nature of the LCSH can rejoice, right? Sandy Berman, here's your big moment. Catalog the world the way you see fit!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm a librarian, so I talk about libraries a lot. Also, I am a playa hater.
1 comment:
I think, just maybe, while Google is taking over the world they will also be working according to the "Information wants to be free" principle. GoogleBase gives me hope.
Post a Comment