I never held the bitter 'ivory tower' perspective of university faculty until I came to graduate school. Jumping between my summer internship in Queens, NY and this esteemed and expensive institution of higher education gave me vertigo and radically lowered my tolerance of college instructors who bitch about the laziness/inadequacy/stupidity of their students. I help lots of students at the reference desk, and it's clear to me that at the very least, many students don't know how to use a library. I can understand this gap in knowledge; our university library pays its librarians peanuts, choosing instead to cultivate a dizzying array of library resources that are worthy of admiration and bewildering to me in my first year working at the reference desk.
I also admit to not knowing what it's like to teach college freshman. I do know that I went into college full of hubris and got taken down a few notches by my fairly challenging college courses. High school wasn't exactly a cakewalk, but I'd been a big fish in a smallish pond. But here's the thing. College professor are paid large, large salaries (despite what PZ Myers and Co. may bitch and moan) in comparison to what K-12 teachers are paid. College professors are not subject to losing their jobs because of asinine federal legislation that judges students success by some arbitrary 'standardized' test scores that are biased in too many ways to mention here. College professors get kids that have essentially made it--they have the means (financial, emotional, intellectual(?)--to get into college, whatever that may mean. Yet the way this article expresses their opinions makes professors sound so put-upon, and makes it clear that they think high school teachers are just phoning it in when it comes to teaching. Example:
"I teach composition, and many of my students do not understand the very basics of formulating an argument — for example, you must support a claim with evidence. High-school teachers need to emphasize writing skills and critical-thinking skills. Colleges should organize seminars for high-school teachers to help them understand an institution's expectations of first-year students."
— An English professor at a public university in Georgia
I'm a librarian, so I talk about libraries a lot. Also, I am a playa hater.
1 comment:
Great post! I'll read more carefully on Saturday, right now work and school are kicking my ass simultaneously (the online reading compulsion took over while I was distracted by the competing deadlines).
I'm thinking everything associated with education is thankless.
On my wall at work:
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them."
-Ray Bradbury (possibly apocryphal, says Wikiquote)
Post a Comment