Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Half a life

So I saw Brokeback Mountain last week, and I am confused and annoyed by how the flick is being marketed. This is no grand sweeping tearjerker of a romance. It's a depressing, slow-moving trainwreck of desperate and lonely people hurting themselves and other people, though The Boy notes that most movies about poor folks usually are. I'm not sure what was worse, seeing the suffering of the main characters or witnesing the suffering inflicted by the men on their families. The more I think I about it, the more I think that it's not repressive 1960s Wyoming society that forces this relationship into hiding. It's that this dumbfuck Ennis won't commit to either living the life that makes him happy or to die trying. I don't feel pity or sorrow or tragedy, I just want to beat this guy senseless for not choosing to do SOMETHING. What's the point of clinging to life if it's only half-lived? This was SO not a gay cowboy movie. Nor is it a movie to see if one is teetering on the edge of depression, since nobody does harsh, gritty life like E. Annie Proulx, and nobody does bleakness like Ang Lee (who is a directorial god, by the way. The man can really frame a shot.)

1 comment:

Ticklish Ideas said...

I think you and Em saw the same dumbass behavior (her review ends: "what a waste.") It's interesting when my friends thoughts come in stereo. Maybe I'd better get out to see this movie so we three can triangulate.

http://emily2otters.blogspot.com/2006/01/brokeback-mountain.html

word verification wzmavzou - Whattsamatta U?